Saturday, January 14, 2017

Apology



2016 is over. It’s dead and buried and hopefully being urinated upon by a surly, spectral bum with a spiteful disposition, And I think I could hear the collective sigh of relief at 12:01am Sunday morning. But there was also a noticeable hesitation in the reverie, a timidity to the bacchanalia. And for that I feel sorry.

Sorry is a word I’ve been saying more and more lately. Or I’ve been forced to say it by circumstance, but does that really matter? As we transition into a new year, we the People are also transitioning into a new, uncharted, unexpected, and to me inexplicable chapter in our world. Eight years ago, we are inspired by a campaign of hope; we believed in the inherent values and tenets of the national ethos. Now, less than a decade later we’re resigned to our choices out of fear and doubt. We’ve been deceived by a con artist and, in the process, severely damaged our collection relationship with each other. After all the bonds of our citizenship ought outweigh a party’s platform. But, while that trend has been growing slowly like a cancerous tumor… it has gone terminal. We have lost the united beliefs that forged a nation born from collected rebels… that survived civil war and managed to keep moving forward. Ad we, a nation of dreamers and explorers who once strove for the stars, now stand like ostriches with our heads in the sands, shackled by promises of restored retro-era glory. And for that I feel sorry.

I’m sorry that more Americans feel detached from and abandoned by the government that was elected to fight for them than ever in our history. I’m sorry that people do not completely understand our political system because our education system is fractured and ruinous. And I’m even more sorry that many of those elected officials have indeed betrayed we the People to further advance their agendas, careers, and bank accounts. 

To my Democrat friends, I’m sorry. We lost the fight, but it does not mean the end. To quote scripture, “I Have Fought the Good Fight, I Have Finished the Race, I Have Kept the Faith.” In the coming days, many of your beliefs will be challenged so keep the faith despite the loss. Dare to dream again; dare to hope. 

And to my Republican friends I too am sorry. First I am sorry if my passions and beliefs got the better of me; I’m sorry if my speech or opinions pushed too far. And I’m sorry that this is where you’ve come as a party. I’m sorry that your leadership has failed to pick a side in this last election. And I’m sorry this is your candidate. If you picked him out of party loyalty or a dislike of Hillary Clinton then I’m sorry that you felt this was your only option. To those of you who believe in your candidate, I’m even more sorry. Because you’ve been conned by a pathological liar, a narcissist, and a buffoon. At least that’s my opinion, which I’m also sorry for.

To all of the women in my life, as well as those whom I do not know, I’m so sorry. I’m sorry that we have normalized, rationalized, and legitimized what is simply sexual assault by  putting a predator in the highest office in the land. I’m sorry that every step taken since the Suffragettes has still not been enough to give you equal rights, and that far too many people are still ok with this.

To all of my friends of color, of various ethnic backgrounds, of immigrant background… I’m sorry. I’m sorry that as a culture, a community… we’ve let things linger like this for so long. I’m sorry for the delusion that hate crime and discrimination HASN’T been happening right in front of us this whole damned time. All the while… we thought things were getting better. I’m sorry for such arrogant ignorance, and I’m sorry if I haven’t done enough. 

I’m sorry for my friends in the LGBTQ community. I’m sorry that the rights, honors, and privileges  of this nation do not apply to you because your love does’t match an ill-quoted text predating the Dark Ages. I’m sorry that some people believe their religious opinions are worth more than your basic happiness; I’m beyond sorry that love itself is being assaulted via religious zealotry. And I’m sorry that the second most powerful person in the country is about to be a discriminatory crusader against your basic human dignity.

To my younger family members, friends with children, and all of the successive generations, I’m sorry. I’m sorry that your predecessors prioritized private interests and money over environmental responsibility. I’m sorry that clean energy is still considered fringe and obscure because of a coalition of politically connected rich vampires. I’m mostly sorry that you’ll never get to see so many of the amazing animals of my childhood because we stand at the beginning of the next mass extinction. I’m sorry you will grow without seeing such beautiful, remarkable creatures.

Personally, I’m sorry to those whom I have let down. Some I have failed because I could not live up to their mantle while others I have distanced from due to beliefs. I’m sorry that I am not the idealistic dreamer I once was, but I am not sorry for still trying to be.

And you. Those trace elements in this nation who suddenly feel embolden and able to promote your rhetoric. You know who you are. I actually am sorry. Not for you though. I’m sorry that your traitorous vitriol is rising from the dark recesses of time, polluting the flawed yet perfectly imperfect dream called the United States of America. I’m sorry that honest, hardworking people are not subjugated to your presence and your hate. I’m sorry that the Founding Fathers, who rebelled against oppression and fascism, have you as their heirs. I’m just sorry that you don’t get what this country stands for and that you never will. And while you spread intimidation and fear… I am NOT sorry, for I will be standing side by side with the true soul of the nation. I will stand by women; I will stand by the LGBTQ community; I will stand by minorities and the oppressed; and I shall stand with immigrants and refugees seeking a better life in the land of dreams like my very own Grandfather.

Now to you, the reader… the audience. I’m sorry for going on such a rant. Wait… no, I am not sorry, for the message is important to hear. I apologize simply because I have one single favor to ask of you: do not sit idle. Begin again the dialogue between the red and the blue; view your countrymen and women as brothers and sisters… not political adversaries. Know your neighbor before you hate and condemn them. I implore you to remember the dream that Revere, Hamilton, Washington, Jefferson, and Adams fought and bled for. That all men are created equal; that we are indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

The phrase I most often ponder regarding this country is “E Plurbus Unum.”

“Out of many, one.”
We become one.
So live as one,
laugh as one,
cry as one,
stand as one,
fall as one,
Rise up Again as one.

Out of many,
we become
one.

No comments:

Post a Comment